Sunday, April 18, 2010

"The Robe" - a wonderful, old book.

Greetings, my fellow old book lovers! My name is India Aderhold, I'm 18 years old and hail from South Dakota! Titmoss recently invited me to join the blog, so here I am! I'm working on my English degree - which means - I absolutely LOVE to read. Especially old books. My Mom is an old book lover as well, so I grew up reading and enjoying all the old, classic books.


I'm going to share a bit about one of my favorite books, "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas. Unfortunately, I saw the movie before the book, and while the movie is good, the book is astounding! It's tells the story of the robe that Jesus wore - the very robe that the Roman soldiers gambled for in John 19:23-24. In "The Robe", a Roman soldier named Marcellus wins the robe, which takes him on a journey that changes his life forever. Although it gets to be a bit long and drawn out in some places, it's a great story of faith, adventure, and finding redemption in Jesus.

My copy is fairly old, it was published in 1942. While it's not in spectacular condition, it's not in poor condition either! Sadly, the woven cover is starting to come apart on the binding, but otherwise it's a pretty sound little book.


The lady who owned it before me put a beautiful sticker with her name on it on the inside cover. Also on that sticker, is a poem which reads:

Books are keys to wisdom's treasure;
Books are paths that upward lead; 
Books are gates to lands of pleasure;
Books are friends, come, let us read. 

2 comments:

Hope G. said...

I love this book as well! Definitely worth the read. My friend said the same thing; the movie is good, but the book is EXCELLENT. Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

I need to get a copy (preferably an old one ;) for myself. I have heard of The Robe, but never read it as of yet.

Good post, India!